Friday, September 5, 2008

Farworld: Water Keep by J. Scott Savage


"Magic is not just spells. The magic you see on the outside is but a tiny fraction of the power of true magic. The real power of magic lies within you. Who you are, what you do, and most importantly of all, what you may become."

Master Therapass, Farworld Book 1 Water

"Other people may see thirteen-year-old Marcus Kanenas as an outcast and a nobody, but he sees himself as a survivor and a dreamer. In fact, his favorite dream is of a world far away, a world where magic is as common as air, where animals tell jokes and trees beg people to pick their fruit. He even has a name for this place- Farworld.

"When Marcus magically travels to Farworld, he meets Kyja, a girl without magic in a world where spells, charms, and potions are everywhere, and Master Therapass, a master wizard who has kept a secret hidden for thirteen years, a secret that could change the fate of two worlds.

"But the Dark Circle has learned of Master Therapass's secret and their evil influence and power are growing. Farworld's only hope is for Marcus and Kyja to find the mythical Elementals- water, land, air and fire- and convince them to open a drift between the worlds.

"As Kyja and Marcus travel to Water Keep, they must face the worst the evil Dark Circle can throw at them- Summoners, who can command the living and the dead; Unmakers, invisible creatures that can destroy both body and soul; and dark mages known as Thrathkin S'Bae.

"Along the way, Marcus and Kyja will discover the truth about their own heritage, the strength of their friendship, and the depths of their unique powers."

I've been looking forward to reading this book for some time and I wasn't disappointed. The characters of Marcus and Kyja are well developed and unlike some other books written for children, they seem to act their age. They both struggle with feeling inadequate in their world and have to learn to find the magic within themselves. This would make a great Christmas gift or a great bookto keep on your own bookshelf.

3 comments:

C.E. Salima said...

I absolutely loved this book. Can't wait to buy an actual copy, oh wait, it was supposed to hit the shelves this month. I'll check my local Waldenbooks.

I’ve launched a blog called “Mormon Bloggers Speak Out”. The purpose of this blog is to share with the world what Mormons are like in our many facets. What we believe, what we do, how we play, our thoughts on family, Church, Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, life, standing for truth and righteousness, missionary work, doctrine, our countries, etc.

Each day, I, or a guest blogger, will post a blog here so that there will be something new and wonderful on a regular basis. If you are interested in being a guest blogger, please drop me an email and let me know who you are. I will also have a Hot Topics category to the right, something interesting bloggers can write about if they are stumped for the day.

I just wanted you to know that I have linked your blog to this one. Just FYI. If you’d rather not be linked, please let me know and I’ll remove it. Have a wonderful day.

Susan said...

I just found your blog through the link mentioned above (Mormon Bloggers ... ). Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your reviews, and will definitely be back for more!

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Susan, thanks for stopping by. I need to get back on the ball and post more reviews. If you leave a comment telling me what your favorite book is and I'll enter you in the draw I'm doing on my other blog, shumphreys.blogspot.com, to win a copy of this book,